Monday, March 11, 2013

  There is lots to tell since my last post.  Remember I told you we were going to a baseball game?  We did, the Pirates played Spain, weather was great and we got to move in to the season ticket holders seats in the third row left field; just up from home plate.  I forgot to put my memory card back in the camera so I have no pictures.  The mascots really worked the crowd.  What I will always remember is my fall from the bicycle on the way back to the marina.  I tried to go onto a driveway with a bit of a lip and only skidded along it but was leaning into the turn.  I have not slept on my right thigh since and I seem to find a new bruise each day.  Luckily I had a sweater on and the scrape on my arm in not too serious.  Glad it was not worse.  It was nice to have a hot tub to soak in that night.  We ended the day with a wine tasting at Pier 22 and then a drink at Happy Hour and then split a dinner and another Happy Hour at O Bricks on Main Street.
  When you fall off you get back on, we rode 2 miles each way to Publix the next day.  On the way back my tire went flat about 6 blocks from the marina.
  The weather turned cool and windy again and our trip from Bradenton to St Pertersburg on Thursday
(7th) was into the wind with waves 3 to 4 feet.  A rough trip but only 2 hours to Harborage Marina.
We arrived and waited 15 minutes for our slip assignment and then they talked us into the slip via phone and no dock hand.  The pool and surrounding furniture here are the pits.  The marina has more sailboats over 35 feet than we have ever seen in one place.  In the afternoon Dave rode many blocks to get a new tube for my bicycle.  My flat tire was caused by a fine wire from a blown radial tire.  He also worked on my rear brake that will need more repair.  That  a casualty of my crash.
Friday we rode into town and found the Publix and CVS and then on to the Pier which is scheduled for demolition and a different rebuild 2 years down the road.  In town we checked out the restaurants.  They are very reasonable here.  Back at the marina we relaxed and then walked the docks to see big boats.....
  Saturday we rode into town to the incredible Produce and more Market.  Later in the morning Nancy and Jesse Shrom arrived from Tampa to spend the day with us.  They checked out the new upgrades and we did some catching up on their new home and the sale of their present house.  St Petersburg has a Dale Chichuly Museum and he was in town to open a new exhibit.  His medium is glass art.  We heard he was giving a free lecture at the Vinoy Renaissance Hotel.  When we arrived the hall was full.  Chairs were added and they seated a few folks at a time.  We got in, sat in the back, next the Shroms got in and were seated in the front row....  An amazing experience!  (http://www.chihulygardenandglass.com/)  We had a late Italian lunch and after getting 2 blocks of ice for our cooler we came back to the marina and visited.
Sunday we rode up town to the Chichuly Museum, WOW!  Then across the street to the Vinoy Reminiscence Hotel (National Historic Register) to take some pictures with out the crowd of the previous day.  We rode the beautiful park and saw the beach (Bay side).
Today Dave did some cleaning on the boat, laundry chores and correspondence with my dermatologist.
for the last week I have had what best can be explained as badly chapped lips.  After internet consult I determined it was actinic cheiletis or sailors/farmers lip.  I called the doctor's office and they called in a RX for me.  Hopefully this will clear up soon it is painful.
  Tomorrow rain and cooler weather is in the forecast,  maybe the I Max theater.
  Next destination is Caladesi  Island for two days.  It is a State Park only reachable by boat.  We have been told that we might find shelling there.  ( off the coast of Dunein )
  Tarpon Spring for the weekend.

***For those who want more information on our location try this:  (http://www.visitflorida.com/maps)  I think I choose sight seeing and you can use your cursor to move the map areas and increase and decrease the size.





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post and pictures. We are with you in spirit as our 'Southern Cross' is out of commision and 'scalped'. I am re-coreing the flybridge floor. Danny & Irene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fabulous time! Continue to have fun!

    ReplyDelete